Monday 10 December 2012

Monkeying around

This past Friday, I realized a hard truth. It's seriously, seriously, seriously almost Christmas. Like, the merry holiday is right around the corner and I have not don't my Christmas shopping yet. I've also not finished my Christmas crafts!! Yikes. 

Before the weekend, I didn't have many plans on what to make for my nephew baby G. A hat? Maybe a sweater, if I had the time. But then, I saw the absolutely cutest monkey that my friend Adrian made, and I thought: I can make that! 
Okay, so what I actually thought was something more along the lines of: Well, I can try to make a sock monkey, but I don't think it will ever come out quite as cute as Adrian's. (He's pretty darn crafty.)

Well, look at how mine turned out!


I have to say, I'm pretty proud of him! And, truth be told, he wasn't that hard to make! 
Following these amazing step-by-step instruction, it only took me about 3 hours start to finish (while watching the Arsenal [English Premier] game). Not too shabby for an old pair of socks that were going to get thrown away anyways!


I didn't have a erasable fabric pen, so I used a sharpie. What does it matter? It's on the inside and going to get cut out anyways.


When my monkey was done he looked a little... well... boring to me, so I decided to knit him up a hat and scarf from scraps. I wouldn't want him to get cold. Winter is coming, after all.


The scarf is a simple seed stitch. CO 5. Each row: K1, P1, K1, P1, K1. Knit that pattern until the scarf is as long as you want it.

The hat is a tiny Turn A Square.
CO 48 stitches.
Row 1-4: k2, p2
Row 5-6: k
Row 7: ssk, k8, k2tog
Row 8,10,12,14: k
Row 9: ssk, k6, k2tog
Row 11: ssk, k4, k2tog
Row 13: ssk, k2, k2tog
Row 15: ssk, k2tog.
Done!

Now he just needs to be wrapped up and put under the tree for baby G. Although, I have to admit that I like him so much, I almost want to make one for my niece M, too.

2 comments:

steph chows said...

OMG I love that you made it a hat and scarf! Too adorable! Great job!!

Corrie said...

Yeah, i agree, love the hat/scarf!