Friday, 29 May 2009
Monday, 25 May 2009
This long weekend I decided to finally get off my a%# and finish a few projects I have sitting around. All hats. Soooo, be ready for the great Memorial Day (err - week of posts) hat round up. There may be a few...
Do you remember this hat? I started it months ago!
I was making it to get rid of stash yarn... and then I ran out of white. I debate for a while whether I should frog it, or make the top a different colour.
In the end I decided to actually buy more yarn. Eek. The whole point was to get rid of yarn! Not buy more that I don't really want. But it's white... So really, I'll use it at some point in time.
I got the pattern here, and had absolutely no problems with it. The top of the hat is exactly like Turn A Square hat, but it's a easy way to decrease a hat, so that's not surprising.
All in all, it's okay. I'm not 100% sure who I made this hat for... but someone will be getting it for Christmas in 7 months. Hopefully that person will like it.
Saturday, 23 May 2009
Friday, 15 May 2009
Thursday, 14 May 2009
I love 'em!
Saturday, 9 May 2009
That’s what I get for trying to modify the pattern!! Silly me thought I was knitting-smart enough to modify the pattern easily. Um…. No.
Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal... Unfortunately, I made these as a gift. Sigh.
At least they look okay when they are on a foot. But when they are just sitting there, they look a little funny. The heel is too narrow and sort of buckles and the toe and heel don’t match up perfectly so there’s a little gathering. But I tell myself you don’t notice it so much when wearing it.
They are based off of the Thuja pattern, only lots of changes. Because of the yarn weight, I CO 66 stitches and used size 2 needles. Bad math skills by me! So when it came to do the leg pattern I couldn’t do the K3, P1 pattern in it. Nope. So instead I made it K4, P2. That part worked okay. The mock ribbing makes it nice and stretchy. I then changed the number of stitches I knit on the heel, and that’s where all of the wonkiness happened. Note to self: Do not skimp on heel stitches.
But they are done, and I am still proud of them.
The socks took a long while to complete, and oddly I think it’s because the knit/purl pattern is so simple. There’s no cabling, no nothing. You’d think that would make it faster… but it just meant the socks couldn’t keep my attention. I must have started and finished 3 or 4 other (small) projects in the mean time!
Well – I have one more skein of yarn from what I bought at Stitches West. I am on the look out for another pair of socks I want to try. I’m considering trying toe up or something complicated just for fun. But all this will be done after the big x-stitch of 2009. Details to come.
Wednesday, 6 May 2009
Monday, 4 May 2009
An Aviator Cap, just like this Aviatrix.
Isn't it cute? And the pattern is pretty simple and easy to follow too. I made it in the 0-6months size and it took me just a few hours this weekend. I'm planning on giving it to a friend of mine whose wife is having a baby this fall. The button shown is not sewn on. I'm going to have to go out and buy a button, but I'll wait until I know if it's a boy or a girl before choosing the button. In fact, if it's a girl I will consider adding a flower to the brim to make it cuter.
I'm a little worried that the strap to go under the chin won't be long enough, although I did more than 50 rows, but it should stretch. If I were to make another I might make that longer. And if I was to make another I would for sure somehow try to modify the pattern so that there was a more definite front and back. As it is, it is symmetric. I think I'd modify how the chin strap was attached.
Otherwise, I love this cute little hat! Good fast project.