Monday 8 August 2011

Garden Update 2

It's been a long time since I've been in Ottawa for a weekend. First Toronto, then camping, then California. All those trips made for an *amazing* July, but it is good to be back. And it was soooo nice to spend time with the fam in the garden.

Thus, here is your garden update for the start of August!

Notice the difference a month makes?
I'd love to tell you the garden is the best ever... but there are a few things I'm worried about. I don't think the brussel sprouts are forming properly. Some of the celery isn't looking so hot. And the peppers...
While the ones that do have peppers on them look and taste pretty darn good, many of them are just a plant. No fruit. And isn't the fruit kinda the point?
But everything else is pretty great. We even made our first batch of homemade tomato sauce today! By next weekend we are going to have a bumper crop of tomatoes. I don't think it would be any exaggeration to say there are a thousand green tomatoes out there just waiting for a hot day to ripen. Homemade tomato sauce is on the horizon.
And one of my personal favourites right now: yellow zucchinis! I had to fight hard for these when we were making our seed list this spring and man are they worth it. I love the bright colour they add to stir-frys. Not to mention that they are super tasty!
Speaking of tasty... when I returned from California, everyone told me that the raspberries are done for the season. But oh look! There are still a few hiding out. You just have to take the time to look for them. And yum. They are worth it.
All in all, there's still a lot of garden to look forward to. I am loving summer! Hope you are too!

2 comments:

stephchows said...

awesome! I can't believe how many tomatoes you are going to have!! crazy!!

Corrie said...

I am having same problem with my sprouts. i saw this
"Some gardeners believe that the sprouts develop better if the lowermost six to eight leaves are removed from the sides of the stalk as the sprouts develop."

I think I will try it on one plant.
ps HAPPY BIRTHDAY!