Thursday 10 March 2011

Boneyard

Aren't hobbies the weirdest thing in the world? And why do we chose the ones we do? I guess in my case it kind of helped that I learned to knit when I was young, but it was my choice to pick it back up after University. But what would have happened if my mom hadn't taught me to knit? Would I be flying model airplanes? Stalking celebrities? Reenacting civil war battles? Collecting stamps? More importantly, does it really matter what my hobby is as long as I enjoy it? (Well... minus the stalking celebrities one because I think that's kinda illegal.) Whatever floats your boat, right? (Or in some cases, whatever mails your letter...)

I was recently chatting with a guy I know from masters swimming and I told him I knit. He looked at me like I'd grown a second head.
"You... knit?" he said, one eyebrow raised. "Did you make that sweater?"
"No," I told him. "But I did make my hat, my mittens, my scarf. And I have made sweaters."
Then he looked at me like I'd grown three heads. (Good thing I have enough hats for all those heads I'm growing, eh?)
Needless to say I don't think he and I will become BFFs any time soon.
But why be a hater? Why not be a lover? An encourager. Besides, when you can make shawls like this one, I can't see how anyone wouldn't love it! It only took me two days to knit up (although I probably should have made it a little bigger). So, so, so easy. I love it so much that I don't want to take it off! Seriously, I'm wearing it as I type this.

Super, ridiculously simple, well written pattern from here. A friend pointed out that the simple ridge pattern would also probably make a nice straight scarf. Totally right! Probably a hat too. There are times when simple is best.

Speaking of things that are simple, yet awesome, look at this rice bag I got in the mail yesterday! Yay unexpected mail! Thank you! I love it.

I'm sure my aching joint will appreciate it soon too. See. Aren't nice people nice!?

If, unlike me, you can sew and like to sew, here are some instructions how how to make one for your very own.
So off you go people. Be nice and prosper.

2 comments:

stephchows said...

Hooray for unexpected packages from awesome people!!! And who needs silly boys who don't like hobby's he probably doesn't even have a hobby! (ok the comment about good thing I have plenty of hats for all these heads was hilarious!)

:D

Ty'sMommy said...

Amen to that! Its so much more fun to be nice! There is already too much grumpiness in the world. Maybe if HE had a knitted hat, he'd be happier.